The catalog has always been an essential part of a retailer’s marketing mix. Throughout time it has proven to be an effective format to captivate consumers, influence their shopping decisions and drive them to purchase at the stores. Nowadays, consumers have evolved and are turning to digital platforms to search for the best products, offers and store related information. This is why it is necessary for retailers to expand their marketing strategies and implement digital solutions into their mix.
But why is having a digital catalog important? The digitalization of your catalogs can enhance their versatility, they can be easily personalized and adapted to different regions or seasons and can collect valuable data about your consumers, among other benefits.
Consumers are frequently looking for offers
For catalogs to have an impact on consumers’ decisions, they need to be published at the key moment of the customer journey. The retailer must have a clear understanding of its consumer to know when is the best time to publish its catalogs.
Even though publishing frequency can vary depending on consumer behaviour for each country, publishing every week assures brand visibility, growth in consumer interest and the chance of purchasing increases.
Short catalogs are more effective
When creating a catalog you want to capture the attention of your consumer for as long as possible when they are reading it. The number of pages in a catalog can affect this. Generally, we find that catalogs with long extensions have a low percentage of pages read. After analyzing various catalogs, Tiendeo found that catalogs with 12 to 16 pages had at least 50% of their pages read.
The key elements for your design
The first thing to have in mind while designing a catalog is your consumer. You need to show them products and offers of their interest in the best possible way.
1. Making a great first impression: The cover page is the first element consumers will see. The objective of the cover page is to engage consumers. It has to show products and offers of high interest for them such as essential or seasonal products. Offers must be included on the cover page and need to stand out by using eye-catching colors and formats.
2. Show what’s in store in an interactive way: The content of your catalog must show the variety of products you have in store. Likewise, images in the catalog have to be of high quality, use vivid colors and be accompanied by a description of the product’s price and promotion. Digital catalogs permit you to incorporate interaction, enhancing the user experience through elements such as zoom, nearest store locator and additional information about the product. You can then obtain information about the interaction with your catalogs and gather data about your consumer’s preferences and interests.
3. Organise your offers and products clearly: The three first pages of the catalog are crucial, they need to capture the consumer’s interest and attention. Products need to be well organised and clearly divided into sections, allowing consumers to easily find what they are looking for.
4. Hierarchy helps offers stand out: Products and offers can have different hierarchies. Some may be more important than others for the retailer to highlight. The design of the catalog has to show which products are more relevant and make them notorious. This can be done by using different sizes and colours for offers. Offers are essential and should be seen at a glance. Also, take into account the number of products you want to show per page and arrange them smoothly, avoiding saturation.
5. Your design needs to be responsive: Remember that the majority of consumers that are searching for products and offers online do it through their smartphones. For this reason, you must always keep in mind that the design must adapt to all the platforms where consumers will be doing searches.
Remember that offers are the main driver to attract consumers to your stores and catalogs are an efficient format to communicate them. Consumers nowadays are omnichannel and spend a significant amount of time online. For this reason, digital catalogs should be part of your marketing strategy.
It is important to personalize your catalogs and optimize them according to the data you collect about your consumers. Publishing frequently is also necessary to build customer loyalty and stay top of mind. Finally, the design of your catalog will affect its performance, that is why you need to create a catalog that enhances engagement and improves user experience.
Want to learn more?